The aim of neuroaesthetics is to understand neural systems that underlie aesthetic experiences and choices. This includes investigating the nature and neural basis of beauty, art, design, and architecture.
- Is there a common neural currency to beauty across different domains — e.g., bodies, nature, objects, spaces?
- How is the pleasure derived from art different from primary pleasures such as pleasure in food or sex?
- What distinguishes utilitarian from non-utilitarian choices?
- What are aesthetic emotions?
- How do negative emotions give rise to pleasure in aesthetic contexts?
- How does beauty influence moral decision making?
- What are the temporal dimensions of aesthetic experiences?
- How does context and education affect aesthetic experiences?